Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hope for the Blueberry?


After a rough start this year where I was threatening drastic measures with my blueberry plant (like throwing it out), the little guy has decided to flower and I'm hopeful of actually getting some blueberries this summer!  Last month I complained about my pathetic blueberry bush, and here it is a few weeks later and there are a couple of very tiny blueberries growing on it (though it still looks pretty pathetic).  So now I am thinking that I lost track of when I got the bush, and this may actually be it's third summer and not it's fourth, which would be right on track for producing blueberries from what I've read.  

I am also thinking that I need to start filling the raised bed I'm going to put it in now and start working on adjusting the pH of the soil now - our soil definitely alkaline, and the blueberries ideally want a soil between 4.0 and 5.0 - Yikes that's a lot of adjusting, which I have never officially done before. And I now want a 2nd variety of blueberry, but don't ask me where I'm going to put it!  Hopefully they don't have to be right next to each other.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure plants know when you've said something harsh about them, some respond positively like your blueberry, others though sadly wilt away.

    We have three blueberry bushes and because they need a different soil to most of the rest of our garden we planted them in pots with compost bought for rhododendrons and camellias. We also water them only with rain water. That seems to help.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin