Thursday, April 30, 2009

2009 Seeds/Plants

A list of things I have planted so far this season:
  • Peas: Dark Seeded Early Perfection
  • Spinach: Avon Hybrid
  • Lettuce: Black Seeded Simpson, Baby Red Mix, "Little Gem" Romaine
  • Onions: Texas Sweet (from sets), Evergreen Bunching
  • Cilantro (seedlings still - not outside yet)
  • Eggplant: Black Beauty (also have Ichiban - not in the ground yet)
  • Potatoes: Kennebec, Red Pontiac, unknown "red seed potato"
Of the lettuces, the Baby Red Mix (from Burpee) seems to be the farthest along, and all were planted at the same time.  The peas did not germinate well at all, I'm not sure if it's the variety or just peas in general, as I did read several things about how to encourage peas to germinate this spring, and I tried none of the methods.  Go figure. 

I'll be planting cilantro throughout the year, as it bolts (goes to seed) so quickly and there's really no way to prevent it.  I plant a few seeds every few weeks through about August so that I have some all summer long.

Last night I planted the first of the 3 eggplant plants I bought yesterday at Jungle Jims (they were only $.99 a plant - half the price of Home Depot and a quarter of the price of Varnau's), at the flower bed right by the mailbox (photo below - it's the little plant on the left side of the mailbox closest to the street).  I often plant vegetables among my flowers, and I think eggplants have quite interesting leaves, and the thick stems and spines on eggplants mean that it would be difficult for someone to walk by and pick one like they might a tomato.  I think it will add some nice interest to the front bed.  I'm really excited to plant the Ichiban eggplant this year, which is a Japanese variety that makes a longer, skinnier eggplant.  That will go in the actual garden in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin